Saturday, May 30, 2009

Review about "The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)"

When I first heard about "The Last Temptation of Christ", directed by the most famous Martin Scorsese, I decided that I must see it for many reasons: First it talks about Jesus Christ who is so controversial among so many religious doctrines. Second, it talks about Jesus Christ who is the most revered by all Christians (which i'm among them). Third, it talks about Jesus Christ with a different point of view (more humane, if you like the expression).

The dual nature of Jesus has been distracting people all over ages, but there is a fact that no one can deny, is that as Jesus is 100% divine, he is 100% humane as well. He is not an angel if you know what I mean. Why we suppose that he accepted to accomplish his difficult duty with a total consent and complete satisfactory? without never being hesitated or reconsidering? The gospels themselves declare that Jesus has prayed to God to "take the cup away from Him". The film has seen Jesus from this point of view, and we can accept or refuse it, but we cannot deny that it is deserved to be considered, even from the religious ones.

This doesn't mean that I accept the film completely. The scenes of the young angel in the last half hour in the film (which are the scenes of the last temptation) makes me yelling, what the hell is that?! till I understand that this was the last Satan temptation that Jesus has refused it in the end and demanded to return to the moment of execution. May be these scenes which caused the audience to have a bad impression towards the film till they understand what is all about, may be because they are too long and with no hint about their truth. Beside, of course, the odd doubted relationship that the film declared between Jesus and Mary Magdaline which caused a large vexation among the religious ones, despite the disclaimer in the beginning.

Finally I would like to say, that I'm a religious Christian, who accepted the concept of the film, refused some scenes, but this what good films must make; controversy and more controversy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more details about the film see:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/

No comments:

Post a Comment